Saturday 18 August 2012

WTF is ‘women’s fiction’?!


Today's guest author contributor is Paddy O'Reilly. Paddy’s debut novel, The Factory, was listed among the best books of the year in 2007 in the Australian Book Review and the Sydney Morning Herald, and performed as the Radio National Book Reading in 2009. Her latest novel, The Fine Colour of Rust , was released earlier this year in Australia and the UK, and comes out in the USA on September 4. She'll be talking about various kinds of fiction at the Melbourne Writers Festival from August 25.

Paddy writes:

When Elizabeth Lhuede asked me to write about why I wouldn’t want my book classified as ‘women’s fiction,’ my first thought was that I don’t actually know what the classification ‘women’s fiction’ means. I know the publishing and bookselling industries use it for marketing. And yet having my work categorised that way would make me very uncomfortable indeed. It feels dismissive. It feels like being shunted off into the section of the bookshop set aside for trivialities. It feels, in fact, like a throwback term, something that would have been used in the time when a woman’s place was supposed to be in the kitchen, reading her lovely unthreatening ‘women’s fiction’ once the house had been made all spick and span and the scones were rising in the oven.

What is ‘women’s fiction’ anyway? Unlike crime or romance or SF, it isn’t a genre with identifiable characteristics and conventions.

           Is it writing for women?

           Is it writing about women?

           Is it writing by women?

I asked a few fellow writers for their thoughts about the term ‘women’s fiction’. Here’s what they said.
  • My understanding is that men don’t read fiction much these days, but women still do. (Is that right?) In which case nearly all fiction is women’s fiction.
  • If there’s any such thing, it’s fiction about a female protagonist, written by a woman, that women want to read (and possibly men, too). Apart from that, it could be any genre, any style and about anything at all. 
  • ‘Writing by women’ is nice, ‘women’s fiction’ not - it has an unhelpful air of relegation in terms of readers or subject matter or level. 
  • On reflection I think women’s fiction is an irritating term. We have fiction about women. We have fiction by women. These are just statements of fact (and fiction about women is not necessarily by women, and vice versa.) But women’s fiction... that’s not fact, that’s someone’s judgement call. (It will suit women, it’s about women’s issues - relationships, parenting, etc, as if men don’t take part in those parts of life.) And it’s way too broad. I hate books about shopping and dating. I love books that examine relationships and family. And both those types of books are called women’s fiction. More ghettoising. 
  • Women readers do seek out ‘women’s fiction’, whatever that means to them. It doesn’t mean it has to be confined to any particular type of writing, though. (And women also seek out other things to read.) But others (critics, prize judges, lit editors, possibly even booksellers) think it means commercial fiction about domestic life or about relationships with men and family members – like that’s a bad thing. So it’s really not a very helpful term in any way. 
  • If I think of women’s fiction at all it would be as an offshoot of popular fiction and would include Mills and Boon, superficial romances and novels involving much shopping for products with trendy names. I recall a genre called ‘sex and shopping’, definitely women only stuff. I imagine it’s a useful category for marketing and shelving books. Readers of literary fiction might use the term derisively to show how intelligent they are. 
  • There is no such category as ‘Men’s Fiction’ that I know of in the mainstream, so that would indicate that ‘Women’s Fiction’ is used to corral, marginalise and fence off the work by women from the mainstream. Do women writers themselves refer to their colleagues’ work as ‘Women’s Fiction’ – I seriously doubt it – so the question remains who uses this term and for what purpose? In the same way good writing has no gender, it is just good writing, only the author has a gender, which should not reflect on the quality of the work. 
  • I’d be asking someone who uses it what she means by ‘women’s fiction’ – it’s usually only used in a demeaning way in my opinion
Meg Wolitzer, an American writer, also has a few thoughts on the topic.

‘...any lumping together of disparate writers by gender or perceived female subject matter separates the women from the men. And it subtly keeps female writers from finding a coed audience, not to mention from entering the larger, more influential playing field. It’s done all the time, and not just by strangers at parties or by various booksellers that have no trouble calling interesting, complex novels by women “Women’s Fiction,” as if men should have nothing to do with them. A writer’s own publisher can be part of a process of effective segregation and vague if unintentional put-down. Look at some of the jackets of novels by women. Laundry hanging on a line. A little girl in a field of wildflowers. A pair of shoes on a beach. An empty swing on the porch of an old yellow house.

'Compare these with the typeface-only jacket of Chad Harbach’s novel, “The Art of Fielding,” or the jumbo lettering on “The Corrections.” Such covers, according to a book publicist I spoke to, tell the readers, “This book is an event.”’ (You can read Wolitzer’s entire article here)

How tempting it is to write a book and give it the title ‘Women’s Fiction’. Then, to introduce a little cognitive dissonance, the cover must have large imposing lettering, and no pictures.

Why does it seem like that book would be ironic?





26 comments:

  1. Spot on, Paddy.

    And your idea of a dramatic book cover -- "WOMEN'S FICTION" -- is absolutely magnetic. "Wick-ed,' it breathes,'insight that burns, cuts to the guts; subversive to the core.'

    Another nice title (and I quote the font) is Liz Jensen's 'WAR CRIMES for the home.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article Paddy. Particularly your point on readers who read literary fiction using the term womens fiction derisvely. Having studied literary fiction at Uni I tend not to choose books with a cover with a certain type of font and image (silly I know). But I always seem to get them for Christmas - I guess the rationale is that I'm a woman who reads so the obvious choice is a shopping and sex book, while my partner gets non-fiction or Tim Winton books. But I have to say I have read the books I've been given and they do have great character development and plot structure. I wonder if the cover was replaced with a Tim Winton style would I a- buy it for myself, b- get it as a present?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, if a TW book was pink and had a wistful woman staring off into a sunset or dangling a pair of high heels from her hand on the beach, would you pick it up?

      Delete
    2. Hi Melissa, as an author of four novels I can assure you that very few of us (unless we are Tim Winton) get control over titles, cover and back cover blurb. And yes, my first book had a pink cover...I had no control over that decision. Two years later when it was shrink wrapped with Jodi Picoult's latest, it had a different cover, different title but again, I had NO control. You can't judge a book by its cover but we all do, including me.

      Delete
    3. Great post, Paddy. This is a vexing question indeed.
      I would not characterise myself as a reader of wistfully rosetinted books at all - but knowing I had purchased at least four with necks on 'em, pulled them off the shelves to show the males in my household when reading further about this pesky marketing appellation 'women's fiction' a couple of weeks ago. (The guys said, 'hey, you're onto something there'. They know nothing about the evils of publishing.)
      Two were by Amanda Lohrey, one by fine Canadian writer Lisa Moore and the fourth a Folio Classique edition of Madame Bovary in French. There's some pretty, and pointless, objectification going on there.
      (I also found a copy of Lucy Gault, by William Trevor, with a fetching pic of the back of a little girl in a nightie on the beach. It is germane to the novel's plot, I suppose.)

      For covers worth running with, sales departments should have a good look at Virago. Not a neck to be seen, and even some soldiers and bold lettering:
      http://www.virago.co.uk/display.asp?ISB=9781844086986&TAG=&CID=&PGE=&LANG=EN&DS=The%20Return%20of%20the%20Soldier

      Delete
    4. PS sorry that URL is so long, here's a shorter one:
      http://tinyurl.com/9fs32gw

      Delete
    5. The ole necks. Half faces are always popular too and lately the naked back seems to be making a comeback (sorry about that dreadful pun).

      Delete
  3. Great summary of a complex issue, Paddy. I wish I knew the answer. I don't. I never thought I'd be someone who writes "women's fiction". I imagined my books as more of a subversive call to arms. Now with pink flourishes on the cover. But a school librarian asked me recently if I could have my last novel repackaged with a different cover so boys would read it, as Bloomsbury did with the adult versions of Harry Potter. I sympathise, I really do, because as in a previous comment, I'm terribly prone to judging books by their girlie covers and running a mile, and I'm sure I'm missing out on great reading. It's so easy to internalise this stuff - as readers, as writers, as buyers of books for others. So I wonder how we persuade the marketers that setting up writing by women as some kind of genre (or a sub-genre of other genres) might not be doing us any favours in the long-term?
    Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Set up a dozen women's publishing houses, all like Virago, I think. I must have read buckets of those green books in the nineties. And their back catalogue is so impressive...hey, ho, let's go.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, VIrago. What a wonderful press. I too read --- sought out --- lots of their books in the 1980s and 90s.

      Delete
  4. And look what happens when you use the tag 'women' in GoodReads - such an incredible range of booklists: http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/women
    And who knew all those lists existed? Some are hilarious - Examples of Male Authors Writing Terrible Female Protagonists, and Worst Books Written About Eleanor of Aquitaine - but some could be very useful. The point is they reflect how readers see the books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a problem in all areas of entertainment/leisure industries and reflects the continual patriachal dominance in our culture. When I was at art school there was 'art' and there was 'women's art, depending on the maker and the subject. Make art about sexuality or sexism and it was women's art. Make art about your children and it became Mummy Art. Only men, and a few women, made tough, rigorous serious Art. Same in the writing world years and years later. On the shelf along with any other minority/special interest group. It's infuriating, but what was even more infuriating is women wanting to distance themselves from 'women's art' WTF is wrong with being by women and for women and about women? WTF was wrong with being an artist interested in women's issues? Answer? It made the men go ewww, made them uncomfortable, made them shuffle their feet and look somewhere else because they knew they were going to cop a verbal slap around the head. And if the dominant gender dismisses women's cultural activities as more trivial and less serious than a mans - many women will agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprising to hear the same kind of lumping together happens in visual art. Ah, what to do?

      Delete
  6. I see women's fiction as a type of genre fiction related to romance but with wider themes. Usually a story about a woman or women on some kind of self discovery journey. Women's fiction has greater capacity to be cross over fiction with lit fic. Since women's fiction is one of the biggest category of fiction sold in the world, I'd be thrilled if I ever publish a book categorized as women's fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keziah, I know what you're saying. xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Keziah, I hope you get your happily ever after (read it on your blog)!

      Delete
  7. Hi Paddy,
    I understand what you are saying and appreciate that the writing of fiction is frustrating, especially if you are a woman and don't want to be catagorised. Ah, if only we lived in a perfect world.
    Women's fiction is loosely defined as fiction written by women for women. Simplistic, I know but there you have it.
    As you rightly say, defining our writing as women's fiction makes it easy for publishers to market our fabulous novels to book sellers, not to mention their own sales and publicity department.
    Would I prefer my books were marketed as fiction? Yep!
    Popular fiction? Yes, please. (Seriously, who wakes up in the morning hoping to write unpopular fiction?)
    But it's a marketing tool!
    That's how the sales people sell my books into Target and Dymocks. I have yet to actually walk into a bookshop to find a 'women's fiction' section.They don't exist.
    Good Lord! The only people getting upset about classifications are the writers! The general public see our books as romance, erotic romance, fantasy, para-normal, sci-fi, romantic suspense, fiction or Australian fiction. If we are super lucky, our books appear in ALL of those categories! Hell, the more the better! As long as I don't find myself on the remainders pile, I'm happy.
    I get that Nick Earls books aren't classified as lad-lit, dick-lit 'or heaven forbid, men's fiction, and female authors are classified...truly I get it.
    My novels get chick-lit, hen-lit, lady-lit, clit-lit...I don't give a rats, as long as people read and enjoy them. Call me whatever you want. Just buy my freakin books! Read them for your book clubs and laugh...often!
    I write about relationships and family..and I'm cool that I get tagged women's contemporary fiction or chick-lit...
    I certainly don't HATE books about shopping and dating. Why would I? Hate is a really strong word and I don't hate anything (except going to the dentist and pap smears).
    I read books. All genres are pretty cool, especially if they get non-readers reading...and reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lisa
    I agree - we want people to read our books, the more the better. I think what's coming clear from the comments from other writers and readers like Melissa and Kelly above, and some of the writers in the article, is that the 'women's fiction' label can put off potential readers too. Although the women's fiction shelf might not exist in real world bookshops, it does exist in the online bookselling world, and as we buy more and more books online we will have to rely on how the online retailers classify books in order to 'browse' what to buy. So leaving aside all the other issues of the 'women's fiction' label, in terms of how publishers sell books, excluding an entire gender from the readership does seem counter-productive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been my experience with female acquaintances who love to read but aren't highly literary that they do like books about family, kids, love, in a domestic setting, and I have yet to meet a man who does. Or admits he does. That's probably what publishers have in mind with a category of "women's fiction" and they obviously think it works from a market point of view. I would see it as shorthand for that kind of book, and understood by the women who go into a bookshop looking for that sort of thing. But women also like blood and guts, dark dark crime, spy thrillers, scifi, pretty well anything men like really. It's a bit of a non-question and surprising that you would be asked about it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Reply below under whisperinggums' post

      Delete
  10. I've never really given the idea of "women's fiction" a thought BUT I do give much attention to the idea of "women writers". Since the mid 1980s I have made particular effort to read women writers. I want to support women writers, and I want to read what women writers have to say because they often do see things a slightly different way, they speak to me experience even if they are writing gritty stuff. That's not to say I don't read men, because I do. I like Tim Winton, I like Patrick White, I like David Malouf, I like foreign male writers like Ian McEwan ... and so on but I don't want to read only them.

    I have many favourite women writers (like, the mother of them all, Jane Austen, from my youth) but the first one who caught my attention in the 1980s was Elizabeth Jolley. She's not a "pretty" writer. She writes of women's experience, more often than not, but she's black and she gets to uncomfortable thoughts and emotions.

    So, women writers. Yes! Women's fiction. What's that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it does come up all the time, unfortunately. Still, I think questioning these terms is the first step in trying to pin down what they actually do. Sure, they use 'women's fiction' for marketing, but it does have wider and, I think sometimes insidious, effects.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, that comment was meant to follow gert above. Blogger is messing with me.

      To whisperinggums I say yes, what is that???

      Delete