Sunday 22 July 2012

Memoir, Biography, History: 2012 Tally

Memoir/Biography/History: 2012 releases

The other day when the tally of literary books was posted, Text publishing tweeted that their biography of Elizabeth and Mary Durack by Brenda Niall should have been included.

Should more nonfiction titles be regarded as "literary"?

The follow is a list of books reviewed for the AWW challenge during January-June.

Disclaimer: If there are errors with release dates, please let me know - reprints make it difficult to judge original publication dates on publishers' websites.

Tally: 10 books, 11 reviewers, 12 reviews

Memoir
Biography
History
Are there other memoirs, biographies or histories published this year that haven't been reviewed for the challenge?
~ ~ ~
Shelleyrae from Book'd Out blog suggests:
Other suggestions from comments:
  • The Censor's Library: Uncovering the Lost History of Australia's Banned Books by Nicole Moore (UQP 2012)
  • Larrikins: A History by Melissa Bellanta (UQP 2012)
  • The Lone Protestor by Fiona Paisley (Aboriginal Studies Press)
Sue T from Whispering Gums blog suggests:
  • House of Fiction by Susan Swingler, about her parents, Elizabeth and Leonard Jolley, and herself. (Fremantle Press 2012

13 comments:

  1. Great list ... I can add Susan Swingler's House of fiction, about her parents, Elizabeth and Leonard Jolley, and herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sue. I'll look it up and add it above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Add:
    Love and Hunger by Charlotte Wood
    Women of the land by Liz Harful

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can add, The Lone Protestor by Fiona Paisley published by Aboriginal Studies Press.

    I was going to suggest you add another title I regard as a new release, Seduced by Logic by Robyn Arianrhod, but I found that it was published in 2011. Then I wondered whether we could be a bit more flexible with the date of publication of the books for this list and also include books that were published in the last 6-12 months?

    I'll cast around for other titles to add to this list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I had high hopes of doing year-by-year tallies for each of the genres, but it's taking *so* long, I'm not sure I'll have the legs for it beyond for "literary" (which some of the biography/history/memoirs might slot into, in any case). Feel free to recommend older titles - especially if they haven't been reviewed.

      I tried to drum up some interest in Seduced By Logic on Twitter and had two people willing to review (one from Canada) but didn't get a response from Penguin about a review copy. (Pity!)

      Delete
  5. Nicole Moore 's the censors library and Melissa bellanta's larrikins: a history, both histories published by u of qld press

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree that both Nicole Moore's Censor's Library and Fiona Paisley's The Lone Protestor should be part of the discussion. Kate Evans @historygirlkate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whisper My Secret by JB Rowley http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13544179-whisper-my-secret March 2012 Elizabeth:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's try again: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13544179-whisper-my-secret

      Thanks, Brenda! I see that this was first published October 2007. I wonder if it's a revision or a reprint?

      Delete
  8. Sorry, looks like the link didn't work Elizabeth:(

    ReplyDelete